Wondering if WV is right for the DNP? This state guide & directory contains details on the most affordable DNP programs in West Virginia, tips on online & hybrid WV doctorates, and info on BSN to DNP options. Interested in a particular school? Jump ahead to our listings.
|School Name||Program Name||More Info|
|Regis College||Online MSN to Doctor of Nursing Practice||program website|
|Regis College||Online BSN to Doctor of Nursing Practice||program website|
|Sacred Heart University||Online Post-Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)||program website|
|Duquesne University||Online Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN-DNP or MSN-DNP)||program website|
|Grand Canyon University||Online Doctor of Nursing Practice||program website|
|Capella University||Online DNP Program (BSN-DNP or MSN-DNP)||program website|
|Northern Kentucky University||Online Post-Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice||program website|
|Georgetown University||Online BSN to DNP Program||program website|
|Simmons University||Online Post-Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)||program website|
|Liberty University||Online Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN-DNP or MSN-DNP)||program website|
Top West Virginia DNP Programs
West Virginia only has three universities that offer some version of the DNP, so ranking them is a difficult proposition. In addition, it’s tricky to make a direct comparison because they have different tracks. For instance, CAMC and WVU have BSN to DNP pathways in Nurse Anesthesia, but Shepherd focuses on the FNP.
In the end, we decided not to recommend one over the others. If you’re interested in a particular program, take a close look at what each School of Nursing has to offer in the way of clinical placements, research opportunities, and certification pass rates. Start with WVU’s School of Nursing, CAMC’s School of Nurse Anesthesia, and Shepherd’s School of Nursing.
Because these schools often go unranked by U.S. News & World Report, you may also wish to contact recent DNP alumni to get an unfiltered view of the program.
Most Affordable DNP Programs in West Virginia
For this ranking of the cheapest DNP programs in West Virginia, we used one key data point—the lowest per credit tuition rate for the doctorate. In the case of WVU, this was the in-state rate.
1. Shepherd University
Shepherd University is a public school, but it charges the same DNP tuition rate to all students, regardless of their state of residency. Keep in mind that there’s an additional fee for each course containing clinical hours.
2. West Virginia University
WVU charges different in-state and out-of-state tuition rates for the DNP. The resident rate is similar to Shepherd University; the out-of-state rate is comparable to expensive private universities. The DNP in Nurse Anesthesia will have all kinds of special fees and expenses—ask the program coordinator for a sample budget.
Online DNP Programs in West Virginia
You won’t find many online DNPs in our West Virginia listings—the state is too small to sustain a lot of distance learning. But you’ll have a few options.
- Hybrid BSN to DNP Programs in WV: Shepherd’s FNP track is available in a blended format, with online sessions and on-campus classes. All in-person classes take place on the Shepherdstown campus.
- Online Post-Master’s DNP Programs in WV: WVU is willing to offer an online Post-MSN to DNP to APRNs. Courses are run via “web-based modalities,” but you’ll need to ask the DNP program coordinator what that actually means!
- Hybrid Post-Master’s DNP Programs in WV: If you live near Shepherdstown, you could also consider Shepherd’s hybrid option. This is run in a similar way to the BSN to DNP pathway.
Coming from out-of-state? Before applying for any online DNP, we always recommend you check in with the DNP program coordinator. Some programs cannot accept certain students due to distance learning & state authorization restrictions. This is usually more of an issue at the BSN to DNP level, but it never hurts to ask.
Note: Our directory of Online DNP Programs has listings of distance learning programs nationwide.
BSN to DNP Programs in West Virginia
To simplify matters, we’ve provided links to individual BSN to DNP tracks in our state listings. You’ll have two major choices:
- FNP: Shepherd is your only option here. Fortunately, it’s a hybrid program.
- Nurse Anesthesia: West Virginia has two COA-accredited programs: WVU and the CAMC Institute. CAMC’s program is affiliated with Marshall University’s Brad D. Smith Schools of Business.
Note: Considering DNPs in neighboring areas? We have listings of on-campus and online BSN to DNP Programs in every state.
West Virginia Nursing Organizations
- West Virginia RN Board
- West Virginia Association of Nurse Anesthetists (WVANA)
- West Virginia League for Nursing (WVLN)
- West Virginia Organization of Nursing Leadership (WVONE)
Below you'll find a list of all of the Doctor of Nursing Practice programs available in West Virginia.